Thursday, November 17, 2005

Idiot trolls & 500 pound gorillas

I've worked several different places in the last 29 years. Big companies, small ones, governmental agencies, non-profits and for profit -- they all have one thing in common, the Idiot Decision-Making Troll.

I don't know who this clueless gremlin is, but it's a large family. The dastardly demon seems to have a favorite prank, replacing competent employees with feckless dead-enders based on "time served".

Troll: Hi Joe! How are ya?

Joe: Uh...oh...well, how do you think I am?

Troll: You seem swell!

Joe: I
am swell!

Troll: You know Joe, we're thinking of making some changes...You know Mike, in BioMedical Research and Development?

Joe: Uh...oh...yes.

Troll: We think you should take his job.

Joe: Uh...oh...shouldn't Tim get it? He's Mike's right-hand man and has been for 20 years.

Troll: We think you should take Mike's job!

Joe: But Mr. Troll, I don't know anything about BioMedical R & D. I'm an accountant.

Troll: You'll be super!

I've been listening to talk radio for 20 years. Some of it makes me want to gag, some is informative, some entertaining...sometimes, if you're really lucky, you find a program that is all three.

Northwest Ohio's big talk radio station is WSPD (1370-AM on your radio dial). It has had the usual revolving door of hosts since I began listening after moving back to the area in 1997. A couple of years ago, the previous morning drive host left and in came the new guy, Bob Frantz. Now, I don't know where Bob Frantz came from (I am sure he said at the time) and I don't know the extent of his talk radio experience. From the beginning, he seemed like a no nonsense guy. None of the smoozie stuff and none of that FM Morning Zoo DJ residue. He was, in a word, refreshing.

Sometimes I agreed with Bob, sometimes I disagreed. Occasionally, I turn him off because, I just couldn't take it any more. But he was always articulate, prepared and committed. He focused on local issues and current events - national and global. He always seemed knowledgeable about his topic and, although occasionally self-righteous, open for debate.

This week, in the dead of night, the Idiotic Decision Making Troll crept into WSPD. A new program director (who, incidentally, has taken over the afternoon drive slot...
what a coincidence!) decided to replace Mr. Frantz. The replacement, apparently a legendary figure in Toledo radio, seems ill-suited to the job. The new program director (who, incidentally has hired himself for the afternoon drive slot) seems to have some sort of Arbitron death wish.

In the last 4 days, the intelligent talk radio station I listened to throughout the day has become a big Morning Zoo Frat Party. There have been more infantile conversations this week than in the previous 3 years. Just stupid stuff: drinking references, sexual double entendre, shooting & hunting & fishing stories, running jokes: "you're fired, this is the third time I've fired you this morning". You know what I mean. What was once "WSPD traffic & weather" has become "Speedy (i.e. SPD) traffic & weather". I'm waiting for the snappy little jingle...the new program director (who, incidentally, has hired himself for the afternoon slot) probably has some sort of composing fantasy...he could hire himself to write it. That was snarky and immature, I know, so I fit right in to the new wSPD philosophy!

I believe that companies have the right to hire, fire, tinker, dabble and annihilate themselves if they see fit. The market will prove them right or wrong. I am hoping, in this case, the market proves them wrong.

The changes were never announced to the listeners -- devious? deceptive? It sure feels that way.

Mr. Frantz was removed entirely from the WSPD website. A couple of days later, after much complaining, questioning, speculation, threats and general public unrest, an announcement was made that Mr. Frantz was starting a new show, on WSPD, airing daily from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Tidy! Put a bow on that. All done! Lovely.

Not done. The natives are restless and want accountability. Reliable sources say that the new Program Director has an on-air commercial which, so I am told, snarkily says, if you're one of those who are unhappy with the recent programming changes, sorry to see you go. Buh-bye. I haven't heard the ad, so I don't know precisely what the content or context is, but it seems a idiotic idea to me. If it's intended to be a "my way or the highway" line in the sand, they will continue to lose audience share. If it's intended to be a sardonic or satirical message to unhappy listeners, it's risky to insult or demean your audience.

Many complaints have been lodged on Mr Frantz's blog. Other Toledo bloggers are blogging, for example here. Options are being discussed. A petition is online. I don't know if any of that will make any difference. The gorilla sits where ever he wants. Should ratings or advertising revenue be affected, that
will matter.

Look, we've all been on the receiving end of the gorilla at some point in our lives. We know how that feels. Sometimes, it's not even because of anything you did... It's just because the gorilla is bigger than you. All you can do it try to keep from getting sat on.

Mr. Frantz will, reportedly, be at The Andersons on Monroe Street in Toledo, on Friday, November 18, 2005 for a personal appearance. I understand it will start at 3:00 p.m. If you can, drop by there and let him know you support him. It may make him feel appreciated and it will be like giving a (virtual) knee to the groin of the gorilla.

Thanks.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info about Bob's appearance. Sharing your feeling about what "speedy" has become now I didn't hear that.

:-)