Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Katrina & Our Friends

I would like to quote some of the heart-warming condolences from our international friends on the devastation brought by Hurricane Katrina to the U.S. gulf coast.

Here they are:


And here are the generous offers of aid and support from those friends:


That's it. That's all. That's typical. I've Googled, and I can't find anything. Nothing. Zero. Zilch.

I wonder why we are expected to give and give and give to "international disasters" (either through our government's commitments [via the taxpayers] or through private donations) but should the U.S. experience a disaster, and those same people who are johnny-on-the-spot with their hands out when someone else needs something can't be found when we're hurting.

And these are the same people who complain that the U.S. is a cowboy, not part of the international community and are unilateral in their approach to things.

Well, we've always relied on ourselves. We've had to be unilateral because there isn't anyone behind or beside us in our times of trouble.

So as we attempt to heal our countrymen, I will be looking for benefit concerts being held in London, Paris, Moscow and Rome. I'll keep my eye on the newspapers for the "forgiveness of debt" that we extend to those who owe us. I'll wait for that donation of oil from Saudi Arabia, Canada and Kuwait. And wait and wait and wait.

No comments: